Mini Sermons

Wednesday, November 23, 2011

The Holiday Blahs

The last few days have been blah for me.  Not sure why, in fact I am in one of the best places I have ever been in my life.  Things just seem to be going my way on most fronts.   I have great friends, a warm house, good kids, a job that I love… a job… Maybe that is the reason for my blahs… not that I have a job…

 Job=Money, Money=Happiness…

Money is tight everywhere and happiness seems to be diminishing.  

Money isn’t everything but it sure makes the world go around and affects our moods.  During the holidays it seems to get worse….working in retail I have seen a shift in attitudes. 

Being a single mom in a single income house doesn’t leave much extra for the holidays.  I think of all the things I want to do and gifts I would love to give then reality sinks in…. barely scraping by every month doesn’t leave much for the extras. 

I know I am not alone in this.  There are many people without jobs, others who have taken cuts in pay, barely scrapping  wondering how they are gonna do all the things they want to do this Christmas.

Thanksgiving and Christmas are not about what we can buy…although the marketers for Black Friday think so… they are about being thankful for what we have;  Thankful for family, friends, warm beds, food on the table even if it isn’t a full spread turkey dinner, thankful  for the reason for the holidays. 

Thanksgiving… we live in a free country. 

Christmas…we are free from the bondage of sin and death

Freedom is something we take for granted daily and something we disrespect by putting ourselves in the bondage produced by thinking money is everything…. 

1 comment: